Wednesday, November 17, 2010

D1 Nation Coaches Corner : Carlos Wilson


D1 Nation Coaches Corner : Carlos Wilson




What is your alma mater? Palestine HS / Sam Houston State University
How long have you been coaching high school basketball? 8yrs
Who inspired you to get into coaching?  My brother in law, Mel Woodruff. He thought I was a great leader and knew I loved working with kids.  He started a midnight summer league back home, and was stricken with cancer. I had to run it for him and it was there i found my true purpose.
What is your favorite food? Anything Cajun
What teams this year will be your toughest games? Dallas Lincoln in McDonald's Classic in El Paso.  Plano Prestonwood/ Meridian (MS) overall tough schedule.
What is the most difficult task when coaching basketball? Managing the egos and attitudes of muliple high major players. Buying into defense first philosophy.
Who is your favorite college coach? Frank Martin/ Kansas State
What’s your definition of a good coach? A good coach is someone who has his team performing  consistently at a high level. Ultimately, we are judged on championships though.
What music do you listen to before a game? Im a jazz guy. I need something to relax because im kinda high strung. Funny thing is that when I was young , my dad would play it and I thought it was so whack!
Who is the best player you have ever coached?  Thats tough Deandre Jordan, Junior Cadougan, Olu Ashaolu, Kourtney Roberson, Latavious Williams,, The best player is Javarez "Bean" Willis who is Texas Tech. Can score 50 and lock his guy up.
What are some goals for this season? We want to win a National Title. I want CLCA to be mentioned in the same breath  as the Oak Hill Academy's and Findlay Prep's.

1 comment:

  1. carlos, just want to say your doing a great job and you are truly one of palestine tx finest...we are all proud of you bro, i am proud to call you a friend.

    ReplyDelete